- Open a web browser and visit http://sketchup.google.com. Download the latest version of Sketchup for your Operating System.
- Run the Windows Installer file, in this case GoogleSketupWEN.exe, and follow the onscreen instructions to install Sketchup.
- Visit http://www.guitar-list.com/download-software/convert-sketchup-skp-files-dxf-or-stl and download the Google Sketchup .STL converter.
- Copy the file you just downloaded, in this case skp_to_dxf.rb, to the Google Sketchup Plugins folder on your computer, in our case:
c:\Program Files\Google\Google Sketchup8\Plugins.
Google has some great tutorials on how to use Google Sketchup. Here are four videos to watch. We recommend watching the first three videos first. Then, open Google Sketchup and follow along with the last video, creating the chair as you watch the tutorial.
After you’ve created your part, you’ll need to export it to .STL format, the universal file format which is understood by Skeinforge. You need to export your 3D file because Skeinforge doesn’t understand the native .skp Google Sketchup format. You already downloaded the required plugin when you installed Sketchup per the instructions above.
- In the Edit menu, click “Select All”.
- From the Tools menu, select “Export to DXF or STL”.
- Select Millimeters in the Export Units dialog box and click “OK”.
- Select “stl” from the Export to DXF options dialog box and click “OK”
- Enter an appropriate filename, being sure to give it a “.stl” extension, in the Save As dialog box and click “OK”.